Sunday, September 19, 2010

The perfect lasagna


I keep meaning to post recipes because I think I really have some yummy, easy ones. In fact, I took these pictures in March (happens to be the same month we started house hunting...coincidence? I think not) but I just never got around to sharing. Tonight I'm going to make a super simple fruit dip which I'll take a picture and be sure to post. I really want to start using this blog more and maybe I'll actually worry about getting more people to read it!

My dad taught me how to make lasagna. I tried to remember how to make it and had to call him the first couple times just to be sure I had it right, turns out it didn't really matter because I don't actually have this recipe written down anywhere (this will be the first time it's written somewhere), in fact I often forget things and it still turns out...SO....GOOD. After looking back at these pictures from March I realized last time I made this, I'm pretty sure I only used one can of sauce! :)

Here are the ingredients (if you remember them all)

  • 1 poundish of ground beef (at least use a pound, definitely doesn't hurt to use more...sometimes I randomly use two)
  • 1 can of spaghetti sauce (at least one can, depends on how much meat you use, I would say go with 1lb ground beef=1 can sauce, 1.5lb ground beef, 1.5 cans of sauce, you get the point, a little extra sauce neverrr hurts)
  • 1 box of lasagna noodles (DON'T get the no boil kind, gross...Note: I've actually never tried them, they just look gross gross gross)
  • 1 egg (something I usually forget but you really should put it in there I guess :) )
  • 1 8oz packet of shredded parmesean (I typically will get reduced fat now)
  • 1 8oz packet of shredded mozeralla (again, I typically will get reduced fat now)
  • 1 larger container of ricotta (I usually get part skim now)
  • if you have Italian seasoning mix (in picture) throw maybe a tbsp and a half in, maybe two? I don't know, until it mixes well. Though if you don't, before I had this seasoning, I used to use parsley and garlic salt.
  • 1 onion (your preference, if I'm feeling lazy, I do without it)
First you cook the ground beef and onion (if you used) and then mix it all together with the spaghetti sauce. Then somewhere along the way you should probably preheat your oven to 350.

Then (wash your hands BUT it's really much easier to do this with your hands) mix the three cheeses (parm, mozz, and ricotta) with the egg and the seasoning.


Then your ready to layer!

First you put just a little sauce mixture in the bottom of an uncoated 13x9 pan, just enough to coat the bottom....


Then you put the UNCOOKED lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Four across then one to fill the gap. Though the one to fill the gap never fits so you have to break it a little...don't worry about getting it perfect, see mine is all crooked & crazy, no big deal.



Then spread the cheese mixture across the top until you don't see the noodles anymore. A typical 13x9 pan isn't very big so you'll actually only get about two layers of cheese, three layers of sauce and two layers of noodles. So when you spread the cheese, use half of it. (Sorry, I clearly forgot to take pictures here)

Then use half of the sauce on the next layer.

Then noodles (4 across, 1 to fill the gap)

Then the rest of the cheese

Then the rest of the sauce

Then put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350.

Nom. And I swear it lasts us for like 3 days.....not recommended for dieters though ;)


No comments: